Student Visa


Studying in Australia is not only a great way to learn and acquire skills at a world-class standard, it is also a great way to experience the unique Aussie lifestyle - our beautiful, sandy beaches; our amazing outbacks; our internationally renowned cities; and our multicultural population!

To study in Australia, you will usually need to obtain an Australian Student Visa (subclass 500). If you would like to come to Australia for a visit and short-term study, you may be eligible for a visitor visa. Click here to find out more.

Prior to applying for your student visa, you must be able to prove to the Australian Government's Department of Home Affairs (DHA) that you meet the following visa requirements:

  • Acceptance into an approved course at an approved college such as ours
  • Genuine Temporary Entrant (GTE) requirement
  • Good character requirement
  • English proficiency requirement
  • Overseas Student Health Cover requirement

Additionally, citizens from certain countries are also expected to meet the following requirements:

  • Medical requirement
  • Financial requirement

When you have satisfied the above requirements, you can lodge for your student visa. You will need to complete an Australian Student Visa application form, pay the visa application fee (it is currently AUD$560), and you may be required to attend an interview.

Acceptance into an approved course

With limited exceptions, you must be accepted into an approved course for international students. Dolph Business School currently has 5 CRICOS approved courses:

Once you are accepted into an approved course, we will issue you with a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) document.

If you are applying from outside Australia, you must include your CoE document issued by Dolph Business School with your visa application. A letter of offer from your Dolph Business School will not be accepted.

The only time you will not have to provide a CoE when applying for an Australian Student Visa is if you are:

  • Sponsored by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade
  • Sponsored by the Australian Department of Defence
  • A secondary school exchange student
  • A post-graduate research student required to remain in Australia for the marking of your thesis

Genuine Temporary Entrant

Applicants should be able to show that their intentions in Australia are temporary and for the purpose of study. You must include a statement in your application that you intend to stay in Australia temporarily and/or documentation to support this claim. You can also include evidence such as your qualifications - a certified copy of your academic transcripts, certificates (such as your degree or diploma), or letter/statement from your overseas or Australian education institution.

Good Character

Applicants for an Australian Student Visa must be of good character to enter Australia. This may include a criminal record check to make sure you don't have a substantial criminal record. You may also need to acquire a penal clearance certificate (or police certificate) or get a police statement.

English proficiency

Some applicants may need to provide an up-to-date certificate of an English language test as part of their Student Visa Application. If you are from the US, Canada, New Zealand, UK or the Republic of Ireland, you are exempted from this language requirement.

Typically with a Diploma course, you are required to achieve a minimum score of 5.5 on an IELTS score (or its equivalent) and a minimum score of 6 (or its equivalent) for undergraduate courses.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

Australian Student Visa applicants must ensure they are covered under an OSHC during their stay in Australia as a student. This insurance policy is mandatory for all applicants who wish to study in Australia, unless they are from Belgium or Norway. Students from Sweden who have purchased health insurance through CSN International or Kammarkollegiet will not need to purchase the OSHC.

The cost of your cover will vary depending on the provider and how long you purchase the cover for. You may be able to purchase this cover through a comparison site such as OSHCAustralia, or directly from one of the approved providers:


Some applicants may be asked to take a medical and/or a radiological check-up to show they are in good health. If you are requested to do so, you must attend an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian Government's DHA.

Financial evidence

The Australian Government's DHA may require that an applicant prove they have sufficient funds to cover tuition fees, travel expenses and living costs for the intended period of stay. These requirements vary depending on which country you are a citizen of.

In most cases, the amount to be considered as enough funds will depend on the length of the course and its tuition fees. For example, the financial capacity of a student who is undertaking a 12-month Diploma course will be different to a student who is pursuing a 4-year Bachelor course.

You may be required to provide:

  • Proof that shows sufficient funds to cover your travel costs and 12-months of living and tuition fees for you and your accompanying family members and school costs for any school aged dependents; or
  • Evidence that your spouse or parents are willing to support you and they have an annual income of at least AUD$60,000 for single students or at least AUD$70,000 for students that are accompanied by family members

The amount estimated by the DHA for 12-months is:

  • Student/guardian AUD$20,290
  • Partner/spouse AUD$7,100
  • Child AUD$3,040

How long does the visa application process take?

Processing times may vary depending on the stream the student is applying for and the surrounding circumstances including:

  • Whether you have lodged a complete application (including all of the necessary supporting documents)
  • How promptly you respond to any requests for additional information
  • How long it takes to perform required checks on the supporting information provided
  • How long it takes to receive additional information from external agencies

The important thing to note is that when you do arrive in Australia on a student visa, you must inform your education provider of your new Australian address, and also inform them within 7-days if you were to change addresses.

For up-to-date information, refer to the DHA website here.

Please note, this information is current at the time of publishing and may change from time to time. Ensure you refer to the DHA website for up-to-date information.