You might be finishing school in the next few weeks, or you are looking to prepare yourself for that promotion you have been vying for. You may even be looking to re-enter the workforce after some time taking care of your family.

In today’s competitive environment, it is important to stand out from the crowd by having a genuine advantage. Not only is it important to have an edge by having the right qualification, it is also important to have the right support and environment to ensure you get the most out of the course you are undertaking.

Researching education institutions

The first thing most people do is to research various education institutions and the courses they offer. You may be confused by all the different types of institutions and the services they offer. Hopefully, we can help explain the differences and clear up any confusion you may have about the various types of vocational training providers.

In Australia, we are fortunate enough to have options. We have the option to undertake a certificate, diploma, advanced diploma, undergraduate degree, graduate degree, or a post-graduate degree depending on our level of ability.

In the last year alone, 4.2 million students were enrolled in either a certificate, a diploma or an advanced diploma course. Over 2.4 million students chose to undertake their training with a registered training organisation (RTO) such as ours, and over 739,000 chose to undertake their training with a TAFE.

What you should consider when deciding which institution best suits your needs

There are many factors to consider when choosing which education institution best suits your needs. Amongst which are:

  • Do they offer the course you want to undertake – not all training organisations will have the course you are interested in. Some RTOs may specialise in business and management courses but you are interested in undertaking an aged care course.
  • Are their courses nationally recognised and accredited – there are many online providers that offer Diploma and Degree courses these days but are they registered with the Department of Education or the relevant state training authority. If you cannot find an RTO number or a TOID number, I would triple check that their qualifications are nationally recognised and that they are registered with the either ASQA (the Australian Skills Quality Authority) or the relevant authority in your state or territory. Our advice is to always go with a registered training provider who offer nationally recognised qualifications – whether they be an RTO, a TAFE or a university. Accredited qualifications are accepted all across Australia and they are recognised by all universities and training providers in Australia (and sometimes in other countries as well)! Undertaking a diploma or advanced diploma with an RTO or a TAFE may even help you gain entry into a university and you may even receive course credit for the course you are applying for!
  • Are their Trainers qualified and have industry experience – this is crucial. If a Trainer is not qualified in the field, how would they be able to adequately help you with any questions you may have?
  • Do they have small classes or do they have large class sizes – this is a personal preference and some may prefer smaller classes for the personal attention, whilst others prefer larger university sized classes
  • What facilities and services do they provide – institutions vary from the types of facilities and services they provide. Some may have a library, whilst others may not. Some may have a Student Support team, whilst others may not. If a facility or service is important to you, make sure the college offers it.
  • What is their reputation like – check out the reviews past students have made to find out what it is really like at the institution. Some institutions appear amazing, but reviews by past students show otherwise. If you are going to spend 1, 2, 3, 4 or even 5 years with an education provider, it is important you know what you will be expecting!

You may have other factors you might consider such as do they have a prayer room? Or do they have a Student Support member that speaks your native language?

Make sure to write up a list on what you consider important and ensure the education institution of your choice ticks all (if not most) of the boxes.

What’s the difference between an RTO and a TAFE?

For those who are not yet ready for university, or for those who are looking for a pathway to university, or even those who have a university degree but wants to change careers or advance their careers, an RTO or a TAFE may be able to provide them with a certificate or diploma course that can help them attain their goals.

TAFEs are government-owned and operated, whilst RTOs are privately-owned and operated. both offer nationally recognised training and accredited qualifications.

TAFEs generally provide more course options to be able to cater to a wide range of students, whilst RTOs generally endeavour to be more niche, focusing on a particular industry or sector.

In terms of services, there is no distinction between what a TAFE offers and what an RTO offers. There are sometimes even greater differences from RTO to another! For example, Dolph Business School offers all of our students access to our learning materials online, whilst another training provider may not. Dolph Business School offers our students with the option of a student housing accommodation at a discounted price, whilst another education institute may not.

In 2016, over 2.4 million students enrolled or undertook an accredited course with an RTO, whilst over 739,848 students enrolled or undertook an accredited course with a TAFE.

Thinking of


We offer Certificate and Diploma courses to both Australian and international students. Feel free to browse our website to find out more,

or call us on
1300 236 574
and speak to one of our friendly staff members.

More from your blog

See all posts